Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Oregon Trail...

So I've spent the entire week teaching about the Oregon Trail and pioneers to my fifth graders, right? I'm grading their journals today....topic: "Your family decides to go out West. Describe your experience on the Oregon Trail."

One of my precious little cloud floaters writes: "I live in Europe, but my family it not happy. and nos fuimos (we went) in a boat and then llegamos (we arrived) and nos fuimos in a wagen to go a Mexico."

Then she draws a lovely map, complete with donkey, of their trip from Europe to Mexico via the OREGON TRAIL. On the back of the page, she writes:

"It- Menu (that's supposed to be "eat"): Frijoles (beans), pescado (fish), lechuga (lettuce), and arros (rice)

Play: carts, futball, baila (dancing), and music

Animals- cow, horse, and a dog

Dress- Sueter, jeens, and blusas (shirts)"

Ay, yay, yay....it doesn't matter that I showed MAPS of the US and every possible trail that the pioneers could have taken to reach Oregon, nor that I made the BIGGEST deal in the world about the foods that they captured, prepared, and ate....nor that I got out the big map and had several students come up and show with their fingers the general area that we were referencing when talking about the "Old West" and wagons on the trail....no. This kid's going to Mexico, eating beans and lettuce....and she's wearing a sweater.....ay yay yay. These are the moments...these are the ones that keep me sane...the ones when I just laugh and shake my head. At least she learned what a wagon was, eh?

2 Comments:

  • At October 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

    Oh how this story makes my day! I thought I might pull my hair out or one Krumrey child's hair out - the miidle, blonde one to give a subtle hint. Thanks - I now feel not quite so alone!

     
  • At October 5, 2007 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

    hehe....no, no names mentioned.....:)

    it's fun, right? fun to teach and watch and then just laugh at the little moments in between. :) it's really what we live for...investing in others. :)

    and when we think it couldn't get worse, it does and we realize how not so bad it truly is....just hug him....he won't be the little blonde one in the middle for long. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home