Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pride.

Watching my nine year olds run around our room this morning put only one word in my head: pride. I was sipping on my coffee...watching these little souls. It was precious. We were decorating the room in response to this week's celebrations for Dia de Independecia. You can only imagine how much green, red, and white littered our walls, floors, and desks. But how fun to see even the most shy of the crowd stand up, hammer nails in the wall (our walls are concrete...it's the only way to make anything stay up for more than 10 seconds), and sing songs from Mexico.

I loved watching/participating with them. Mostly, though, I loved listening to their joy and their excitement about being from Mexico...they understand what it means to be from a free country. They rejoice in that. They admire their President. They see their families as heroes....it's precious to see. I'm learning so much about the culture and the people...the traditions are beautiful. Really beautiful. This is such a rich culture....with so much to be proud of. I am astonished at various moments...just delighting in being a part of it all.

It's like every moment is decorated distinctly with a beauty that I can't describe. Even in the most difficult and grueling periods of time, things somehow are just tainted with this deep beauty. It's like when you know what something is, but can't find the word for it...or when you see something for the first time and try your best to remember every last detail so that you can convey the splendor of the moment....it's like that. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is....t's like a color that you've never seen, but can dream in...like a taste that stings your mouth's pleasure spots, but can't name....like a distant land that you somehow are familiar with, but know nothing about. It's truly extraordinary. This beauty that I speak of. And what's more? I am afforded the opportunity to wake up everyday with this being my life. It's not a dream anymore. It's not a far out there fairytale. It's what I'm doing. And in their faces, their words, their hearts....I get this spark of life.

This taste of beauty.

It really renders me speechless sometimes.

We were sitting in my sixth grade class today...and I really couldn't tell you what was happening at the moment, but I exploded into laughter....Emmanuel...what was he saying? Ah. I don't remember. And I wish I did...becasue it was precious. He was telling me a story....and it ended with us all just enjoying talking. Just enjoying being together. The principal thanked me today por "el regalo que Dios te dio a conocer a todos los alumnos....por tu carino para ellos....y para tu capacidad a saber lo que necesitan especificamente." (the gift that God gave you to truly know all of your students...the care and concern that you give them...the ability that you have to know exactly what they need). In turn, I wanted to say to her....it is the students that teach me. It is my distinct honor and pleasure to be a part of investing in young people....to be a part of watching them grow....of imparting little bits of truth and wisdom....they're amazing little people. I love them. Really, I do. They're growing on me. :) I never thought the day would come when I would ENJOY this age...this group....the challenges, the struggles....but they enchant me.

It's good. This kind of pride....it's a healthy kind of pride. I can stand beside the mom's and dad's...and in some way, shape, or form, begin to grasp what happens inside of their hearts when they see their gifts excel and grow. It's a cool feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home