Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lazy Days...

Some days you just really have this burning passion to write and convey thoughts....others, not so much. I've been in the "others" category lately. But today, there is a slight itch....so I'll oblige.

We're winding down with our TEFL course....I've got two more observed classes to teach...one unobserved. And then we'll take our final exam this week...and have a few extra days of class....and get our certificates! Yeah! This week was crazy. On Friday, for example, I was in class at 8....and then didn't leave from work (IMAC) until almost 9. What a day. But what a great experience. How I love teaching the students and learning so much. It's awesome.

Other than that...I've been doing a little traveling...with my family here. They're so much fun. They are seriously hilarious. :) My "sisters" Mayela and Mete....they are so funny....they're always cracking jokes and laughing. Yesterday, in the back of the van, with Raul (the older gentleman that I live with) driving...we were cracking up....it's like driving with your grandmother in New York City (no offense, Granny...I have full confidence that you are a superb driver in NYC....Raul has some years on you, though). We came to a halting stop every four seconds becasue there was a car eighty feet (here it's meters....man! is that hard to get used to....meters and kilos instead of feet and pounds....good thing I'm not signing up to be a math teacher.) in front of us. And then at one point, we were stretched out across like four lanes of traffic....people all over the place yelling at us and honking the horn...with my family consistently yelling back and using hilarious Spanish profanity combinations. I was dying....it was so funny. Then Mete was demonstrating her multi-lingual skills. hehe....so if you can only imagine us "speaking" Italian...with lots of made up words mixed in with words like Pizza and Spaghetti (with her cute Mexican accent)....or French....or English. Yeah...itw as hilarious. It feels so great to have such a stable and fun family to be in the midst of. It's so cool to watch them relate to one another....and see how much they love each other. It's phenomenal. And I've somehow been adopted into the mix of it. I can't explain with words what that feels like...to be in the middle of my life completing changing...but somehow having such an amazing group of surroundings. Yeah....as much as I'm looking forward to starting at Terranova, I'm sad to leave Guadalajara and all that I have here.

Today's just sort of laid back...nothing going on. I was thinking of heading downtown later today. I'm really wanting to see some Mariachi action. I have to see if my friend can go with me. I'm not keen on venturing out solo yet....but maybe. We'll see. Other than that, I'm gonna head to the park that's about 10 feet from my house....read a little....put away my laundry. That's definitely one of the most amazing aspects of Mexican living....not many people here have a dryer....so all of the clothing is hung out on the roof to dry...and you can only imagine how savory it smells afterwards....the freshness of the sun....it's awesome. I love it. I always love taking mine down and wafting it in the direction of my nose before cramming it in the drawer.

Yeah....so that's the story. I'm hearing about this hurricane. I think I'll look up some news on that before I go down from the roof. Thanks for the heads-up. I don't ever watch tv...so I never know what's happening. I'm gonna have to start. :) Have a happy Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home