Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Monday, August 6, 2007

From the rooftop...

Looking out to my right is a mountain...beneath it are buildings of all colors, most distinctly: yellow, turquoise, brown, and beige. The lights in the windows of the houses and buildings create a frame for the towering structure they embellish. The brick-covered street huddles under the children running ...the cars rumbling past....but none seem to disrupt the utter peacefulness of the rooftop sanctuary. Somewhere off in the distance is a precious little park....and to the other side is the entire commercial market of Guadalajara...it's amazing to behold. I saw, specifically, this morning from the bus windows, the Soy milk production place (leche de soya)...as well, the cereal manufacturers...along with their huge bundles of grain. As well, I saw the auto location for the buses in need of repare. I was dazzled by the hustle and bustle of the workers in the early morning....moving their carts to and fro....crossing the street with their loads....avoiding the wrecklessness of the bus drivers that carried business-men and women, children, and other individuals to their places of drop-off (bajar).

I can't tell you with words how I felt on the bus this afternoon....I boarded, only to stand amongst many others who were leaving from their workplaces and summer school locations. I stood in front of a man, next to a young woman with a particularly cute baby girl, beside an elderly gentleman who played with a kindergartner in front of me. I listened as a mother scolded (reganar) her daughter...no quieres saber lo que va a pasar cuando nos bajamos...she warned (you don't want to know what's going to happen when we get off this bus!). She stuck her lip out, and took off her backpack to put away her book...obviously those had been her instructions BEFORE boarding the bus (camion). She had just begun when the bus driver pulled away from the previously red light...the girl fell backwards. My arms caught her. I rested her against my body until she finished placing the book in her pack. Her mother smiled, thanked me....and told me she'd let me know when it was time to get off, as they were traveling to the same street that I was. It was nothing....but this culture, this people, this place...it's so precious to me. Every part of it. It was a typical afternoon....but standing there, with both arms raised, holding on for dear life to the silver rail...made my day.

Yeah....made my day. I took down my laundry this evening when i arrived home. It smells fresh....just like fabric softener....hopefully next time, I'll get to hang my clothes outside in the sun to dry. Last night wasn't a good opportunity for that because of the threat of rain...but next time...the smell is enrapturing. Sort of like this little terrace. All I need is a serenata (serrenade) from a mariachi or four. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home