Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The man on the bike.

Once again seated on the roof terrace. I was startled by this strange honking/beeping sort of noise....I peered over the ledge of the plastic-covered ledge to see a little old man riding a bike down the middle of the street. He was vending his wares: I would guess ice cream or juice.

Hmmm....what of note happened today. Not much. I went to school really early. Got my paper done for tomorrow. Attended classes. We laugh at our inability to process English and Spanish at the rarest moments. :) As well, I taught after school at IMAC. It went really well. I taught about using might with a caution phrase before. So something like: DON'T STAND THERE! You might get run over by the bus.

I chose to put hand-made flashcards on the floor that had pictures of potential pitfalls (a bus with people running in front, a HOT! sign with a burned hand, a baby floating face-down in a pool, a man falling down stairs, etc)....with the key caution phrases on other hand-made flashcards. They said: WATCH OUT! CAUTION! CAREFUL! DON'T! OH NO! So the idea was for the students to work with their partner on creating short dialogues with these prompts. My ever so precious Enrique formed a conversation with Mary: "Watch out! Don't run (rooooon). The (dee) bus crash hit!" It was so much fun. They had a great time making up stories about "What he might do...." I gave them pictures of random men I had retrieved from the internet. They had to give the man a name. Tell where he MIGHT go...what he MIGHT do there...what time he MIGHT leave...and when he MIGHT return.

Nestor and his partner named their man Sylvester Stalone. He was going to model. He would leave at two days. And he would return in two years. He might sing while he was there. :)

Yeah. School was good.

Afterwards, I hung out with a teacher that teaches at the same school. He's from Guadalajara...and we talked a lot about teaching and the sort. Afterwards, rode the bus home...the ever-eventful bus. I saw, for the first time, the bus driver get extremely angry....I'm not sure who the men were, but two men boarded the bus (not uniformed or anything) and demanded to see all of our tickets. I assume they are some kind of officials....anyways...they were taking their sweet time to board and the bus driver was cussing at them and pounding his fist on the steering wheel. Ah, the amazingly-exciting bus route! :)

Tomorrow, I'm actually off after 315...so I'll be meeting a Luis' (my boss from Texas) brother to hang out around the city. It should be fun since I've not gotten to really look around yet. He's a native so I'll get some good touring time. :) Off to finish my paper for Friday now, though...have a great night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home