Threads of Mexico

Journeys, Struggles, Successes, and Life for a Teacher in Mexico.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wow.

This has truly been the most amazing birthday of my life. For starters, my wonderful boyfriend woke me up with a miniature chocolate cake at 1 in the morning (I guess that was the official birthday time?!!?!?!?!?!?). He had adorned it with 3 candles and a precious note. Then this morning, I arrived at schoool this morning where my students greeted me at the entrance with a vase of flowers. They then assigned me my "bodyguards" who were in charge of distracting me with random scientific facts/explanations and other nonsense until the party coordinators finished decorating the room. When I entered, every student was under his or her desk...and they popped up and yelled "happy birthday!" The "dj" of the group struck up the music that they had pre-planned for the celebration. Then my eyes caught the beautiful posters that they had made....and the cake, refreshments, and munchies that covered my desk. They had cleared an area for a "dance floor" and taught me to dance a "traditional birthday song" in Mexico. It was truly the hugest surprise and a wonderful start to my day.

I was so proud of them. They organized (by themselves) every last detail. I was amazed. It took my breath away to watch them serve one another...and me. I loved seeing them form teams of people to do certain jobs...and execute them with such grace. I`ve had the most enormous smile on my face the entire day. It was fabulous!

I`m pretty sure there`s something in the works this evening from my boyfriend`s family, as well. They`ve been super "hush-hush-uh-oh-here-she-comes" for the last week or so. And someone accidentally asked in front of me yesterday if the oldest sister was coming in from Guadalajara this afternoon. So I`m pretty sure there will be something happening in the evening. Yay! :) I`ve had a delightful day. Thanks for all of the sweet notes/emails/etc that have flooded in. It`s been a day to cherish! :)

4 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2008 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Melanie said...

    Happy Belated - so glad it was a happy day! Love, Mel

     
  • At February 22, 2008 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Klinc said...

    Happy bday. What's up? It's snowing like crazy here. We are supposed to get 6-10 inches of it. kory

     
  • At February 22, 2008 at 3:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Prima! Hey! I am not sure if you got my e-mails and the stuff I sent you with my mom. Tu madrina is in Chapala and will be returning to Reno on Monday 2/25/08. I asked her to give a little gift that I sent you with her. I hope you got it. Also my e-mails I am not sure if you are getting them. I am glad you had a wonderful Birthday! Happy Birthday and a great big hug from your prima in Cold hell RENO, NV. All my love.

     
  • At March 1, 2008 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

    thank you! thank you! thank you!

    and leti- yes....i FINALLY saw mis padrinos. read my email for more info. and, also, no, i don't think i'm getting your emails...or at least i haven't since the card that you sent me online.....what account are you sending them from? the work one or the personal one? that makes me bummed. i sent you a long one today...so read it and reply! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home